Saturday, 7 September 2013

XAVIER DOLAN KICKS ASS - AND KISSES IT - AT VENICE FILM FESTIVAL

(Xavier Dolan. Courtesy of Ixion Communications.)

Glory be! Proud Montrealer and 24-year-old film wunderkind Xavier Dolan finds himself once again rubbing elbows with filmmaking royalty at the Venice Film Festival where this week Dolan’s latest film Tom a la ferme was awarded the critics’ prize by the Federation internationale de la presse cinematographique.

A couple of years ago, at the Cannes Film Festival, Dolan was already a star and drank it all in.

"I was at Cannes for 10 days, did 160 interviews, drank too much alcohol and smoked too many cigarettes!" Xavier told me, laughing lightly. "[Then] I had this Cannes glamour moment where at some mini-shindig I walked into some bar with Benicio Del Toro and this French actress, and suddenly my life changed. These people were [no longer up] on the screen. They’re chatting with you and you’re talking to them about cinema and your life and their life and you’re laughing [together]!"

Dolan paused.

"I don’t want to make it sound shallow, but I felt like part of a family."

That family just got more glamourous.

Dolan's award-winning film Tom a la ferme is adapted from the play by Quebec playwright Michel Marc Bouchard, a drama about a young man Tom (Dolan) who meets his lover Guillaume’s family for the first time after Guillaume’s death and he’s shocked to learn that the family has no idea of his existence and that his lover’s mother didn’t even know her son was gay.

Dolan called it “a notable honour” to receive the award.

I love how Dolan doesn't shy away from anything gay. He is proud, and I love him for it. 
As Dolan told me, with defiance in his eyes, "There is still danger today for gay people, even in broad daylight."
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment