Tuesday, 7 January 2014

LILY TOMLIN MARRIES PARTNER JANE WAGNER - AND OFFERS SOME "COMING OUT" ADVICE




Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner get hitched

Emmy-winning couple Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner got married on New Year's Eve. Tomlin, 75, and Wagner, 78, have been together for 42 years.

The wedding, reported by columnist Liz Smith, does not come as a complete surprise: Just before the US Supreme Court struck down California’s marriage ban last June, Tomlin said she and Wagner – author of The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, The Incredible Shrinking Woman and other Tomlin vehicles – might get married.

A few years ago, I asked Tomlin – who had spent much of her career publicly closeted – what she would tell  gay actor or performer seeking advice about coming out.

 “I wouldn’t know what to say, other than it would be wonderful if it didn’t mean anything,” Tomlin told me. “But if they’re completely gay-identified in their performance, or speaking to issues of sexual identity, I suppose it would be fine. I would want them to be out so they could be themselves but it depends on how ambitious they are. My story is relative to the times. Jane and I were out, but we never called a press conference. In those days the press also didn’t write about [our personal lives]. And truthfully from my heart, I didn’t encourage them. It was the ’70s. But I don’t know what would have come of it if I had. It could have been great. I mean, Time magazine offered me the cover in 1975 if I came out and Ellen [DeGeneres] came out on the cover 20 years later. She was the right person at the right time.”

Congratulations to Lily and Jane for tieing the knot!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment