Wednesday 20 July 2011

THE BOND BETWEEN 1980s CANADIAN POP ICON LUBA AND HER GAY FANS - AND TINA TURNER!

 Luba supports gay marriage and loves her gay fans (Photo courtesy Luba)


(July 20) I had lunch with 1980s Canadian pop icon Luba - for my money still the greatest rock singer to ever come out of Canada - and we blabbed about a lot of things, from how she broke into showbiz, to the time Tina Turner came up to her in a hotel lobby to tell her how blown away she was by Luba's raw talent. You can read it all in my one-on-one interview with Luba in my POP TART blog for The Montreal Gazette.

One story Luba told me that I didn't have room for was about her deep connection to her gay fanbase. Luba explained a few years ago she was asked to sing at the wedding of a Calgary art gallery owner and his husband -- and she did so happily.

"It was in a vineyard," Luba recalls. "It was the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen, and I 'd never seen two people more in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment